Thursday 5 January 2012

Thursday Thought


I don't remember where I found this image, if you know then tell me!


"Just as composers go to concerts and artists visit galleries, writers read. You will learn, in the most enjoyable way, more about style and language from reading good literature than you will ever acquire from workshops and how-to books." - Judith Barrington

 Judith Barrington is a prize-winning poet and memoirist, author of Lifesaving: A Memoir and other books. Teacher of poetry and memoir.

Although I have a degree in Creative Writing and a masters in Writing for Young People I will always say that you can learn a lot simply through reading. Read lots of book and also read lots of different books. Read books that you are interested in and are relevant to what you want to write, but also read books that have nothing to do with your writing at all, read books you aren't interested in because you might be surprised. I've found that some of the books I thought I wouldn't like, I have, and in some cases I think I may have taken more from them. I still think that a writing course or just a good workshopping group can provide you with invaluable knowledge so don't shun them either. Learn as much as you can from all sorts of sources, it can't do any harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Paralian Girl - Blogger Templates, - by Templates para novo blogger Displayed on lasik Singapore eye clinic.