Tuesday 10 January 2012

Page Turners: Ranger's Apprentice #1

I am currently reading:
I am really enjoying The Ruins of Gorlan so far, I actually look forward to reading it each night and I find myself in the cycle of "just one more chapter...just one more..." each night while struggling to not fall asleep with the book on my face. My only issue? Will doesn't seem like a fifteen year old boy to me, I thought he was younger. But maybe that will change as time goes on, it is sometimes difficult to read a characters age in fantasy because the circumstances are so different to our own. He does remark that the girls he knows are attractive but there is no hint of him being interested in them, or anyone for that matter. So far it hasn't been particularly unique but I don't mind that because it's well written, the characters are interesting and I care about them, and I do want to see Will succeed. I can imagine 12 year old boys really enjoying the series, which I know has been massively popular so John Flanagan must be doing something right.

I also keep wanting Aragorn to appear...

From Goodreads:
He had always wanted to be a warrior. The Rangers, with their dark cloaks and shadowy ways, made him nervous. The villagers believe the Rangers practice magic that makes them invisible to ordinary people. And now fifteen year-old Will, always small for his age, has been chosen as a Ranger's apprentice. What he doesn't realize yet is that the Rangers are the protectors of the kingdom. Highly trained in the skills of battle and surveillance, they fight the battles before the battles reach the people. And as Will is about to learn, there is a large battle brewing. The exiled Morgarath, Lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, is gathering his forces for an attack on the kingdom. This time, he will not be denied...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Paralian Girl - Blogger Templates, - by Templates para novo blogger Displayed on lasik Singapore eye clinic.