Wednesday 4 April 2012

Coveted Cover: Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
I read Life As We Knew It some time last year and it's not perfect but it is really good. I did enjoy it and I do find myself thinking fondly of it every so often. The version I read didn't have this cover, it had this one and was called The Last Survivors instead, which I don't like very much. The above cover for Life As We Knew It is so pretty though and also gives you a hint as to what the book is about. The moon ends up freakishly close to the earth sending everything out of whack. It's now freezing cold, winter and people are all out for themselves so the main character, Miranda, and her family have to try and survive alone.

My main issues with Life As We Knew It were that Miranda has a crush on a boy who she meets up with but then he sort of disappears and I found the ending really unsatisfying. It actually made me rage a little and it still bugs me to this day when I think about it.

By the way there are two other books in the series, the second follows a boy surviving in New York and the third follows Miranda, her family and the boy a year after the event.

From Goodreads:
Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.
Told in journal entries, this is the heart-pounding story of Miranda’s struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all--hope--in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Paralian Girl - Blogger Templates, - by Templates para novo blogger Displayed on lasik Singapore eye clinic.