Thursday 5 July 2012

From The Review Pile: After The Snow


Source


After The Snow by S. D. Crockett
I've had After The Snow on my review pile for a while now and I still haven't got around to it because, well, I've heard some negative views that make me wonder if I'm going to enjoy it. The concept is great but there's quite a few others things that concern me, such as the voice, how it's told in dialect (but apparently not as well as The Knife of Never Letting Go) and the dog skull that the boy talks to a lot. Overall it seems to get 2 or 3 stars which isn't awful but also isn't great.



From Goodreads:
Fifteen-year-old Willo was out hunting when the trucks came and took his family away. Left alone in the snow, Willo becomes determined to find and rescue his family, and he knows just who to talk with to learn where they are. He plans to head across the mountains and make Farmer Geraint tell him where his family has gone. 
But on the way across the mountain, he finds Mary, a refugee from the city, whose father is lost and who is starving to death. The smart thing to do would be to leave her alone -- he doesn't have enough supplies for two or the time to take care of a girl -- but Willo just can't do it. However, with the world trapped in an ice age, the odds of them surviving on their own are not good. And even if he does manage to keep Mary safe, what about finding his family?

3 comments:

  1. I hate when books have lower ratings make you not want to read them, good luck. Here's my Review Pile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen positive and negative reviews for it, too. When I'm not sure of a book, I try to stay away from reviews and let the synopsis sell me on it. Also, it helps me to go into a book with lower expectations. :)

    Thanks for sharing. Here's my Awhile on the Pile post. Happy Thursday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you should just go into it and try to see what you think, I find that reviews can sometimes make you delay a book that you might like. And if you don't at least you tried :) Nice choice for this week!

    ReplyDelete

 
The Paralian Girl - Blogger Templates, - by Templates para novo blogger Displayed on lasik Singapore eye clinic.